Irreplacable Barracuda :(

Ever made a decision that at the time seemed like a good one, but then later on, you realize was a huge mistake?
Niika
Never leaves
Never leaves

Re: Irreplacable Barracuda :(

Post by Niika »

Mark wrote:Perhaps we'll put this to rest when I get my hands on the 1993 catalog. :)

That would be great! :D

manbeer
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by manbeer »

Here is the 16" NOS A2E i mentioned, i believe it is a transition year so maybe 95-96. It has the Tree Amigos decal on the seat tube but has the made in usa label from Ross Bicycles on the downtube. It is hard to see but it is silver up front and dark forest green in the rear. Only been built and ridden once, then disassembled. If you are still interested let me know, i saw that you found a beautiful 16" A2V so if that falls through this can be yours. Otherwise i keep it :)
Attachments
213.jpg
213.jpg (25.59 KiB) Viewed 12825 times
92 Easton * 93 A2X * 93 A2L * 94 A2MS * 94 Comp * 95 Comp * 96 A2E * 97 A2E * 97 XX Team * 97 A2F * 98 A2FS * 96 A2T and more

Niika
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Niika »

That's a really pretty frame, manbeer, I love the colors. You can probably tell by now that I am fond of blues and greens. :)

According to bikepedia, if I am not mistaken, your A2E is a 1998 aluminum frame. I've never had an aluminum frame so I don't have a preference one way or the other, but is the geometry the same as the earlier Barracudas? If it is, then I am still very interested.

Unfortunately the guy with the A2V says he's changed his mind and has decided to hang onto his bike for a while longer. I don't know if he found another buyer or what, but I was facing some difficulty getting it anyway because he was unwilling to ship. I was in the process of getting a friend in the area to pick it up for me if I could only determine the size... oh well.

Are you still comfortable selling your extra A2E frame to me? If so, how much would you want for it? Feel free to PM me.

Niika
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Niika »

I have a new bike regret: I didn't win the auction for the 1994 'cuda comp. :geek:

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

Niika, After reading your posts, I really thought you were not going to be in contention for the Cuda Comp and were going for the frame manbeer had. :o So I was suprised you were bidding on it. Sorry about that. It is what it is..
I am 5'7 with a 30" inseam and 32.5 sleeve length. The deal about Barracudas and what I think the seller of the Cuda Comp was getting at in his posted Q & A, is that the top tube on a 14" is as long as the top tube on like a 16" Klein or Specialized. (or what is now considered the norm for a 16") So, it may be more about the stretch to the handlebars than the climb-over height. I am a short guy and like a little extra gonad room.. :shock: But a 16" Barracuda, to me, is a little long. If you look at my A2M, I have a short stem to compensate for the stretch length. I tell the story in another post that I started out riding GT's. They have shorter that normal top tubes. I was finding myself indo'ing (end over end) the GT on downhills, frequently... To the point that I was looking for a short bike with long top tube.
Enter the A2M.. I found it great on the downhills. Is what I like about the Barracudas..
It still remains to be seen what the Cuda Comp's size actually is. It looks longer that my 14" A2M with the same height of seat tube..?? May just be a stretch distorted image.
Again, sorry for snaking the Cuda Comp out from under you..
T...
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

manbeer
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by manbeer »

I can say with reasonable certainty that the comp is indeed a 14. I have been living with my girlfriend the last 6 months or so and most of my bikes are at my other house but one of the 2 that i have here is a 94 comp in 16 and i walk by it every day in the garage. The slope of the top tube is definitely more on the one on ebay and my fork should be about the same length. Its a manitou magnum from the same era. I have a unique attachment to this bike as i almost died on it back in june. I had my shirt tied around the bars and during a 20+ mph sprint in the woods it fell in my front wheel, i endo'd, then landed on my neck and was unable to move. I could have swore i was paralyzed for about 10 mins, then finally was able to mobe a tiny bit. I was trying to call 911, but got no service and slowly forced myself to walk. When i finally was able to get through all i could do was grunt and whisper amd it took over an hour to find me. They were about to airlift me but at the end they decided against it. Luckily i didnt have any major damage but neber felt pain loke that in my life. That being said, i dont think i could ever part with mine. Of course the fact that its a blast to ride helps solidify that. Congratulations and enjoy :)
92 Easton * 93 A2X * 93 A2L * 94 A2MS * 94 Comp * 95 Comp * 96 A2E * 97 A2E * 97 XX Team * 97 A2F * 98 A2FS * 96 A2T and more

Niika
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Niika »

mixalive wrote:Again, sorry for snaking the Cuda Comp out from under you...

Hey, don't be sorry, just give it to me! :mrgreen: No, I don't feel that way at all, that you snaked it out from under me. Eight people bid on it, and there were at least 3 or 4 near the end. I'm happy you got it, I think it was meant to go to you. ;)

Niika
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Niika »

manbeer wrote: I have a unique attachment to this bike as i almost died on it back in june. I had my shirt tied around the bars and during a 20+ mph sprint in the woods it fell in my front wheel, i endo'd, then landed on my neck and was unable to move.

Whoa, good thing you didn't break your neck. What happened to you reminds me of stories I've heard of motorcyclists getting their long scarves caught in their spokes. Of course, the outcome for them was much worse. I guess you'll never be tying your shirt to your handlebars again.

One time I was working with a power drill and my long hair fell down into the spinning drill bit when I leaned over. The drill slammed against the top of my head with thick wads of hair all spun around the drill bit. When I began loosening the hair it began falling off in thick pieces. At first I thought the sharp drill bit had severed the hair, but it turned out it had all been pulled out at the root! I had shiny bald patches on top of my head, and my boyfriend nick-named me patchy for awhile. :)