Cyclocross Cantilever brake pads?

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
mixalive

Cyclocross Cantilever brake pads?

Post by mixalive »

I was searching around the web for some replacement brake pads for the A2R and came across these cyclocross pads at Nashbar. I don't know.. What is up with these pads. Would these be good for a mountain bike?
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 ... _525028_-1
Attachments
pads.jpg
pads.jpg (11.01 KiB) Viewed 6825 times
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

neo_pop_71

Re: Cyclocross Cantilever brake pads?

Post by neo_pop_71 »

I've never been a fan of Nashbar branded stuff, tends to low-end quality so they can give you a "good" price. No thanks!

Check these out, Kool-Stop/Mathauser Salmon dual compound for only $2.00 more:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#koolstop

(half way down the page, salmon/black pad)

Kool Stop Salmon Models with smooth studs:

for traditional center-pull cantilevers and some center-pull calipers, such as Mafac

Sheldon Brown, R.I.P. with happy trails in Heaven, was the guru of all things bike related... he always picked the best performing stuff, not what was expensive or popular for the moment. I had the pleasure of speaking with Sheldon a few times on the phone and he answered a number of my questions on bike message boards. Every suggestion was perfect, the guy really knew his stuff! The bike world lost a great one when he moved on! First off, these Kool-Stop-Mathauser pads are made in the USA, that seals it for me! The dual compounds work amazingly well, I've been so impressed, half the price of Jag Wire premium dual compound pads and they stop so much better!

-D-

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

cool

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Thanks ...Glad you brought up the cyclecross bit with the pads. I have been checking things out on ebay and info about single speeds so when I am ready to do my cheapie build with a few bucks from income tax time I will have some insight. But I must ask...what is the difference between cyclecross and mtb canti brakes...they look the same to me?

Oh....+1 to KOOL STOP pads used that brand on my BMX bikes and hope to run them on the single speed when time comes
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

No real difference between a CX canti pad and a MTN pad. The big distinction is high quality canti brakes rule in the CX world, as opposed to being "retro" in the mountain bike scene. You will not find a nicer pad than the dual compound Kool-Stop/Mauthauser pad I linked in my previous posting!

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I tried a pair of Kool-Stop's Eagle Claw from my local LBS this weekend and found the pads were hitting my forks when the cables were unloaded, preventing me from being able to remove my tire. I could have mounted them backwards, but would have gone against the design of how the pads kick out on the following edge. I clearly had the wrong pad.