Another 8 speed setup.

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Another 8 speed setup.

Post by Derek »

This guy is selling a 'drivetrain' tho' there has been some disagreement on mixing Shimano and SRAM components.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad ... =1&search=

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Another 8 speed setup.

Post by vpc66 »

Sram makes shifters and derailleurs that work with shimano stuff...they state on package as to which it will work with. My old Fs bike I have Sram shifters with a shimano xt rear derailleur.. the front does not matter so much which is why I have a Xt front derailleur on the Cuda...which drives me nuts along with the Xt 9 spd. cassette...I wanted a shimano free bike when I built it but Sram had not put those out yet...along with the Thompson stem I wanted which was not produced yet but talked about..
Funny that in the early to mid 80's I was a lover of shimano...had full Dx on my Gt bmx bike...some time later I became a shimano hater.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

This is the bike for you Vinny... not a single Shimano part on the bike!!!

I picked this up last night from a guy in Los Angeles, well worth the drive and time spent collecting it! I've owned a 1983 Stumpjumper and a 1984 Stumpjumper Sport, both were lugged frames, but Specialized had flooded the market by the time each were released. This 1982 is a real score, tig welded (pre-lugs) welded by Toyo in Japan, close to original condition. It's basically a Tom Ritchey knock off, this Stumpjumper cost $750 new, that was half the price of a custom Ritchey. Kind of cool little fact, the Smithsonian Museum has a 1982 Stumpjumper in their permanent collection, first production mountain bike. I've got a few things to put right and I may never get the tires or seat correct but it'll be fun hunting and riding.

Here is MOMBAT's write up on the 1982 Stumpjumper:

Since there were not mountain bike specific parts yet you see the use of some French touring parts (brakes and cranks), Japanese parts (hubs, shifters/derailleurs), motorcycle sourced brake levers, BMX stem and pedals......must have been a nightmare to put together these early bikes with parts from so many different sources.

Frame... Special Touring Series Cro-Moly TIG
Fork... Cro-Moly Biplane style
Rims... Araya 26 x 1.75"
Hubs ... Suzue nutted
Spokes... DT Stainless Steel 3 cross
Tires... Specialized Crossroads (I'll never pay vintage price for these!)
Pedals... Suntour XC II (these are going to be a pain to locate!!!)
Crank... TA Cyclo Tourist
Rear Cogs... Suntour 5 speed
Bottom Bracket... Tange
Front Derailleur... Suntour ARX
Rear Derailleur... Suntour ARX (I need to find one to be original)
Shifters... Suntour Mighty
Handlebars... Specialized IV
Stem... Specialized BMX 4 bolt (putter style)
Headset... Specialized Alloy
Brake set... Mafac tandem cantilever
Brake levers... Tommaselli Racer
Saddle... Stumpjumper (fat chance I find one of these!!!)
Seat Post... SR Laprade

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

VERY NICE....just those bi-plane forks alone make the die hard Specialize guys go nuts...will be a nice vintage bike to run around the neighborhood on..Part of your hunt for parts should be vintage Ground Control tires and that thing cleaned up would sure make the Specialized guys cry!

P.S. Every time I see your Road single speed I think of my sandrail which I paint almost if not the same color with blue parts here and there...you know how they say a boat is a hole in the water...well that thing was fun but it was a hole in the sand.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

The bike was an impulse purchase, Craigslist got the better of me... don't get me wrong, I'm stoked to have it but I've already owned a '83 and '84 and let them both go because the bikes ride like beach cruisers. I guess I was just curious enough to be optimistic and go for it. The amount of originality was what hooked me and I couldn't let it be, especially since tig welded '82 Stumpjumpers don't pop up everyday. Should be a fun project, I'll start a different thread... didn't mean to be a board terrorist and hijack pee30wee's thread.

Oh, my buddy who has had many expensive play things, cars, boats, women, etc., he has a motto these days... if it flys, floats, or f*cks... it's cheaper to rent it!!! 8-)
:lol:
Having watched him spend through a fortune twice over, I think he's finally seen the light!!!

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

@hijacking the thread, no worries- its kinda what we do here. :)

Oh, hookers.. ain't done it yet, but is on the bucket list. Ha.