My daughter's 1995 12" A2Z

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
neo_pop_71

Re: My daughter's 1995 12" A2Z

Post by neo_pop_71 »

vpc66 wrote:Even thought he is writing about men and their balls it is still FAR nicer than what we could have said or have been called...with me by good friends even...so THANK YOU KIND SIR..

:shock: Wo... Vinny said men and their balls :lol: :lol: :lol:

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

I sure step in that steamy pile :o
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

vpc66 wrote:I sure step in that steamy pile :o

GOTCHA!!! :lol:

Any minute Sheriff Mixalive is going to come along and clean up this mess...

Oh, there he is now!!!

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Finally... I got it!

I finally landed the last piece I needed for my daughter's bike, I built it up with full 7 speed XT, however all I had was a DX rear derailleur. I didn't feel like finishing the build with that DX albatross. A buddy needed a 9 speed rear shifter after he wasted his, I told him that I had a Deore Mega9 shifter that he could have. In return he gave me "this old bike from a garage sale" in exchange. I picked it up last night and my jaw about dropped to the floor, that old bike turned out to be a 100% original 1987 Panasonic Mountain Cat MC7500. The top-of-the-line model with a lugged frame made with Tange Prestige (just like my old Stumjumper and my Alien) and full XT 7 speed grouppo. The best part wasn't landing the XT rear for pee-wee's bike, it wasn't finding the original "Flower petal" XT threaded headset still there and in great shape, but the Panasonic still had the original XT "Bearclaw" pedals aka Shimano PD M-730... my absolute Holy Grail of favorite pedals. Everyone still has the newer 1993 to present XT platform pedals, my wife has a set on her bike, but no one has the XT Bearclaws. They were only available in the complete XT grouppo from 1987 to 1993. I snapped a couple pictures, I didn't get a good one of the pedals but here is a link to Velobase... some great pictures of the oversized platforms with rounded cages.

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 5cadd2a950

I figured this to be my most significantly lop-sided trade ever and my buddy was totally stoked to get his bike rollin' for a group night ride last night.

p.s. Yes, those are double water bottle cages on the down tube, none on the seat tube, wacky 80's designs!!!

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Cool the little one will be tearing up the trail soon. With the pedals I read Bear in name and I think of the Hutch Beartraps that were banned from use because they could kill people,after looking at the pic I realized you wrote Bearclaw. Can't wait for riding pic's at least I hope to see some? Any plans on using that frame for something...single,1 X ? or just on hold

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

B E A R T R A P S . . .

THE SHIN SHREADERS ! ! !

Incredibly awesome pedals until the VANS come loose! I rode those up until recently, those pedals have scarred my shins so badly, my daughter says that they are ugly. Battle scars right?!!! The last spill I took here in the neighborhood, those traps took a huge chunk out of my shin but not before they cheese grater'd the front of my lower leg from knee to ankle!

Here's my classic Beartrap BMX story, everyone who rode those pedals has a story. A kid crashed into me when we were approaching a doubler during a race, he wadded me up badly, and my left foot dropped to the track as the Beartrap came around. Instant stoppage and over the bars I go. I come to and I'm sitting in a pool of blood, blood gushing out of my head, I try and get up... that's when the pain hits me!!! Turns out the Beartrap severed my Achilles tendon when it took a 4 inch piece of pie out of the back of my lower leg, and when I pinwheeled, the Beartraps lacerated my head. By the time I'd made it to the E.R., I lost so much blood that they couldn't put me under, so I received 12 "locals" to ease the pain as they did surgery on my leg while I was fully awake and dying!!! 128 stitches later and I was in a 3/4 leg cast for 2 months, such an awesome way to start summer vacation! Good times!!!

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

And you still have a set...like I said ..Those things were ban from use at least here. Cool looking pedals that had good grib but my god when things turn south. I used Shimano DX with the studs which hurt like hell on a screw up but you did not bleed to death....Ahhh Memeories

P.S.......Those things should fetch a good price with the history of being taking off the market...hang on to those

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Just pondering the idea of pulling the rigid fork off my daughter's bike and sticking on a suspension fork. This thought never really entered my head before because I did own a spare fork. However, last Saturday morning before my daughter's soccer game, I won a White Brothers SC-70 Country fork on Ebay for $32.99 (plus $18.00 s/h). Just like the gearing, I planned on running her first trail bike as a 1x9 but she is more than smart enough to handle gears, that's why I ran it with the XT 3x7. Going with that same way of thinking, I'm leaning towards installing that fork and just allowing her to jump in with both feet. I know convention says let her cut her teeth first then intro the upgrades but she is a smart cookie, so why not let jump on with a steep learning curve and save that awkwardness of having to learn the dynamics of suspension.

Just a thought... interested in hearing your opinions.

Thanks!

willywill

Post by willywill »

Nice rig Neo, very cool that your little one is getting into riding. Of course there will be pros and cons to either set up, but I think from a cutting her teeth perspective (and hopefully not the shins, gnarly story!) rigid would be the way to go. The unforgiving nature of the rigid setup forces one to become a better bike handler, as you no doubt have experienced in your years on two wheels. The first years on the trails will be a great time to develop mad bike handling skills that will only make riding with front or rear or dual suspension that much better. Learning how to use ones body as a shock absorber is a great technical skill and also develops alot of supporting muscles necessary for mtn biking endurance.

The big con that comes to mind is that if the rigid front end is so unforgiving that it turns her off from mtn biking. Of course trail selection would easily negate this con.

Now that I think about it though, Daddy might have to go rigid too so she doesnt think she is getting the rigid shaft!

Either way, as long as you are riding, promoting health and wellness, you really can't lose. I couldn't believe my ears the other day when I heard that 70% of the population in overweight and 30% is obese...sad days. Reminds me of a line in a NOFX tune...

No longer svelte, gotta punch new holes in the bible belt...

HA! Love those guys.

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

In a way I agree with WillyWill but having gone throught it with my son I say put the suspension on but realize you are the learning curve and have to explain the hows and WHY of what you are doing and showing. When my son would screw up I would show him even if I had to break it down into steps, then if he was not to flipped out at time, get him to make the run over.
Suspension makes for a safer more enjoyable ride so why not,but as I tell my Son my belief is anyone can ride a bike fast,a good rider can go slow and still control and keep the bike up. Bombing down the trails are fun but learning to pick the lines and working the bike will come from following and hearing what you tell her from your years of riding knowledge...in the end her skills should show faster than a kid that is told to just go out and ride....My 2 cents..