'94 A2MS budget build

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Re: '94 A2MS budget build

Post by Derek »

mixalive wrote:Fastenal sells M7. You should have a dealer in your area.

They are about three miles away, but they charge a BS 'break bag' fee. The nut and bolt shop that two different LBS's sent me to was a bust. So I guess Fastenal or just stickin with the stock 'Cuda stem will be it for now.

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

GAAAAAHHHHHHH why is my chain skipping?

It hits each gear exactly..... when I put some torque on it it skips..... gah, guh-gugugugh gah!

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

Use that special tool to index the drop-out. The drop-out's get out of wack when you breath on it. If it is still skipping after everything is adjusted correctly, check all the links on the chain, making sure you don't have a stiff link. The stiff link thing happened to me on my recent A2R build. Here is an image of the Park tool I have. $60.00
Attachments
tool.jpg
tool.jpg (7.72 KiB) Viewed 9381 times
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

Thinking that's what it is.... brand new chain but that don't mean it's perfect.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

I make it a point after installing a new chain to clean that heavy grease off the chain that comes from the factory. Being that KMC makes 90% of all chains in China, you have to know that mass produced garbage they put on a chain to prevent rust is no good. I clean that mess and then I install some Dumond chain lube, they have different lubes for road or dirt. Just doing this simple bit of maintenance has solved the exact problem you've described. A number of factory bike teams plus motorcycle race teams like Ducati and Aprilia trust Dumond for their factory riders. It's not too bad, $10 or $11 dollars online or a few dollars more at your LBS or motorcycle dealer. Here is a link to their bike products, they also have a dealer locator on their home page

http://www.dumondetech.com/dumonde/products/bicycle-2/

Another thing to consider, ruling out your new chain, are worn teeth on your derailleur pulleys, chainrings, or cassette. A new crisp chain will jump around on rounded over or worn out drive teeth. The chain is the best place to start as it's the most affordable replacement.

Good luck!

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

When I joined the NEW chain together on my A2R with that special joining tool, I neglected to free up the joined links. Which was what my issue was. My sprocket cassette was brand new.

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

Well here is my first urban assault.... I have a crude video shot with my phone but can't figure out how to post it. I am definitely going to mount some knobbies soon.

Thanks to all for all your help. Special shout out goes to Don! Chain skips a little in 7th only now.... still tinkering with it.
Attachments
P11-03-12_13-58[1].jpg
P11-03-12_13-58[1].jpg (461.45 KiB) Viewed 9365 times
P11-03-12_13-58.jpg
P11-03-12_13-58.jpg (391.9 KiB) Viewed 9365 times

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Well glad to see you got a ride in ...Tires and other things can be done later,enjoy the fact that you can throw a leg over something that was parts on the floor and go for a spin.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

Post the video on youtube then post your link for the youtube video on this site.
:ugeek:

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

:shock:

Jesus Christ!

Man, are you 6'6" or something taller? Your frame has to be an 18" or 20" and then that seatpost on top of that... crazy gigantic Cudahead!!! Seriously though, is your seatpost pulled up past the maximum line? I've never seen a post that long that was not beyond the line of safety. All joking aside, I don't want to see you hospitalized, brother!!!

On a different note... great to see it done! It looks like it will be an awesome climber, especially if you're truly that tall, your pedal leverage while climbing will be insane (think Ned "Deadly Nedly" Overend, also ran an 18" or 20" frame with a giant seatpost)! Glad I could help, happy to do so, and I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal on a suspension fork (with an extra long steer tube).

Well done!!!

-D-