'94 A2MS budget build

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
neo_pop_71

Re: '94 A2MS budget build

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Granted TREK sucks but why blame Bontrager... Keith doesn't control the weather... or does he?!!!

I was lucky enough to have owned a '92 Bontrager, pre-TREK, that Keith made himself. I bought it off one of his team racers. The guy had rad stories of driving all over the western United States with Keith in a beat up old station wagon. Selling that bike is one of my great regrets in life... I may have a few, but that one ranks way up there!

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Do not mean to twist the knife but......THAT SUCKS!!!
The Bontrager frames go for big coin on flea-bay and make killer looking vintage singlespeed rides,sorry you gave it up but how does one know what will be worth something years down the road or just a turd in the corner of the garage.
And so glad you ask what Bontager had to do with the weather ???
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

neo_pop_71 wrote:All of the rigid fork Barracudas that I have ever seen have had threaded headsets and use quill stems.

My 94 A2M came stock with a threadless rigid fork.. I have one of those black Barracuda quill stems (like Neo had pictured) off of my 93 A2R if anyone needs it. But I ain't gettin rid of the A2M rigid threadless fork.. Sorry..
Attachments
rigidFork.jpg
rigidFork.jpg (214.71 KiB) Viewed 8932 times
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

How many of those pop up....
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

vpc66 wrote:Do not mean to twist the knife but......THAT SUCKS!!!
The Bontrager frames go for big coin on flea-bay and make killer looking vintage singlespeed rides,sorry you gave it up but how does one know what will be worth something years down the road or just a turd in the corner of the garage.
And so glad you ask what Bontager had to do with the weather ???

Hahahaaaaa... my tires on my Avanti RidgeRider commuter are now Bontrager knobbies, hence me being able to ride in the snow. You guys crack me up.

Oh..... anyone know where I can find some bolts (M7 by one) for a Jamis headset? I've been to 3 LBS's, and got laughed at, went to a local ACE hardware (didn't get laughed at) and a Home Depot (didn't get service).

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

First, I'll take a look through my bin of socket head bolts and see if I can find any 7mm bolts. No promises...

This is a common issue on various forums, here is a thread that I came across when my buddy needed the same thing:

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussi ... 30436.html

I called my top 3 places that I've always been able to find what I was after... came up with nothing! This shocked the hell outta me! One guy said to call Japanese motorcycle dealers, he claimed M7 bolts were common in motorcycles, ATVs, and snowmobiles. You might find one up near before resorting to Ebay. Anyway, this is the best that I could find, the bolt is shipping out of Toronto Canada, otherwise everything else is shipping out of Hong Kong. And it seems that titanium is the only option in 7mm socket "allen" heads. There is a link provided in the MTBR.com link above at the bottom of the thread, I did some checking, and everything I could find had a $25.00 or $50.00 minimum order. I'd go out of Toronto, just for the shipping time, I wouldn't care that the single Ti bolt cost twice as much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Titanium-Taper- ... 3f1b10c911

Here is the entire Ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... lt&_sop=15

Derek... hang in there buddy... you will complete this build soon! While you're waiting for your M7 bolt to arrive in the mail, get some 2x4's and build that $7.00 stand I posted in the OFF TOPIC CHAT section.

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

I think Chevy uses M7. Check PepBoys..

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Sorry Derek... no dice my man. I have a bunch of 6m and 8m but no 7m bolts.

Check it out, if it were me and I was in your shoes, before I'd spend $10.00 tracking down a bolt for a used headset... I be all over this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-WTB-Momentu ... 1e70050fb0

Those stainless steel races, just like a Chris King, will last forever! Bonus, that it's close by in Colorado with free shipping. It's just me but for the extra $2.00, I'd rather have the new WTB headset.

Keep us informed!

-D-

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

Fastenal sells M7. You should have a dealer in your area.

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

Odd thing, I had the wrong headset bearings. I went and got the correct ones, put it all back together and whammo- it all works. Spent a coupla hours tuning the rear derailleur and guess what? Inaugural ride!!!The brakes are spot on, the rear shifter still a little -uh- sticky? and not digging the full rigid much, but damn..... my first full build. I even let my lovely girl buzz her around the block <last time> :) It will take some more tuning and an INEXPENSIVE front suspension fork, but she fits me well, and so does the bicycle! Maybe the fork on that $20 A2B will fit?

-Derek