'94 A2MS budget build

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
mixalive

Re: '94 A2MS budget build

Post by mixalive »

Thats nice.. Barracuda folks helping Barracuda folks.. :mrgreen:
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Grrrrr...... grrrrr.....

This dadgum bike. Much thanks to Neo for the pods <cash is on the way> Shifting and braking PERFECTLY......... The Manitou fork I thought was a little too short by maybe a half inch on the steer tube, but tried it anyway. NOPE. So I figgered I'd go full rigid and put the SAME BARRACUDA rigid fork with the SAME Barracuda stem that came off my A2R (they worked fine on the other frame!), nope again!! Not wanting to strip a bolt or anything..... when I hold the wheel and put some (ok quite a bit of) pressure on the bars, it slips!!

Any ideas?

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Aw man, that sucks!

Going from threaded forks to threadless, you always have to allow for the stack height of your threadless headset plus another 2" or so for the threadless clamp. What a bust! I just looked back at your head tube size, I think this fork with work for your frame size. You can always bring your frame and a threadless stem with you when you check it out.

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/bik/3346931303.html

There are no threadless headsets for sale near you, if you need one, I can always track one down and send it your way. I feel your pain, you just want the bike done so you can hit it!!! That's the story of my life for the last year! Let me know what you decide and if you need anything.

Good luck!

-D-

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

Ummmmm I don't think it was ever threaded, Don? I guess I haven't ever seen a threaded headset, maybe a link showing the difference?

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Pee30Wee a threaded headset is old school where you use a quill stem,think more department store bikes...not that good bikes do not use them just old style bikes would have. The quill stem slides into the steer tube and a bolt runs down through the stem and pulls a wedge up tight to lock it in place.
Threadless the stem clamps down on the steer tube to hold all parts in place with the top cap having a bolt that screws into the star nut in the steertube.
I will post two pictures of headsets...the first will be a threaded and the second will be a threadless so you can see the differents.

P.S....If you need to see pictures of the bikes with a threaded headset my Lotus in the roadbike thread,the first pictures of Don's Raskel before he changed to the 29 front end and I believe pictures of his Daughters bike .
Attachments
mg5C8_zUDegoUNIpGUwGvDg.jpg
mg5C8_zUDegoUNIpGUwGvDg.jpg (8.47 KiB) Viewed 9200 times
mxQdMVIBQYfClyD8jo_S9Lw.jpg
mxQdMVIBQYfClyD8jo_S9Lw.jpg (8.52 KiB) Viewed 9200 times
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

By the way I look back at the first pictures you shown here on this thread on the tear down of the bike and you have a threadless stem laying next to the ridgid forks from the bike..so my guess is yep..never a threaded set up.

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

vpc66 wrote:By the way I look back at the first pictures you shown here on this thread on the tear down of the bike and you have a threadless stem laying next to the ridgid forks from the bike..so my guess is yep..never a threaded set up.

Yep threadless all the way. whew. Mind was blown for a sec. :shock:

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Sorry man, I should have looked back at the original pictures. All of the rigid fork Barracudas that I have ever seen have had threaded headsets and use quill stems. Vinny is right, my daughter's A2Z is running a new threaded headset and a new old stock 'Cuda quill stem. The Chris King Gripnut threaded headset on my track bike is the nicest headset I've ever owned or felt... yeah, it was a wallet buster at $130.00 but I had to have a threaded headset because my box-crown fork was threaded. Anyway, sorry for adding to the drama of the build!

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Chris King parts are like gifts from the GODS...My headset and hubs will be around long after I am gone I bet. The only time my hubs drive me nuts is on the late night rides around the neighborhood with my Son...if you know about king hubs you understand.....11:30 or so at night and that BUZZZZZZZ is super LOUD..... :shock:

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

On the slickery <yes I said slickery> stem and steer tube...... I do have a Jamis stem that is a little more burly than the stock 'Cuda one.... it just needs some bolts.... Off to Ace Hardware!!!! or LBS, we'll see who has what.

Snow here this week! (thank you Bontrager)

-Derek