'94 A2MS budget build

Posts related to the restoration of Barracuda bikes.
Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

'94 A2MS budget build

Post by Derek »

My bottom bracket on my A2R was going, and I lucked in on this A2MS, with a good BB. 8-)

I have an old Avanti Ridge Rider to get me through till I get done with this one. The A2R is donating most of the parts, hence the budget build. Cleaned out the garage and fashioned some hangers to make the build a little more comfy.
Attachments
First parts on the new frame!  Don't forget to tighten those, Derek.
First parts on the new frame! Don't forget to tighten those, Derek.
P08-25-12_11-14[1].jpg (586.61 KiB) Viewed 10106 times
My first complete chainring disassembly.
My first complete chainring disassembly.
P08-25-12_11-14[1].jpg (586.61 KiB) Viewed 10106 times
Think I'll keep the correct gripshift, unless I can find a free 3x8 rapidfire setup.
Think I'll keep the correct gripshift, unless I can find a free 3x8 rapidfire setup.
P08-25-12_11-13.jpg (568.13 KiB) Viewed 10106 times
P08-24-12_12-58[2].jpg
P08-24-12_12-58[2].jpg (714.3 KiB) Viewed 10106 times
Recipient, found on KSL.com and mentioned here in the marketplace forum.
Recipient, found on KSL.com and mentioned here in the marketplace forum.
P08-24-12_12-58[1].jpg (447.23 KiB) Viewed 10106 times
Donor A2R.
Donor A2R.
P08-24-12_12-58.jpg (679.11 KiB) Viewed 10106 times
The 'shop.'
The 'shop.'
P08-24-12_12-57.jpg (674.97 KiB) Viewed 10106 times
The herd, minus the A2MS.
The herd, minus the A2MS.
P08-18-12_19-10.jpg (643.6 KiB) Viewed 10106 times

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Re: '94 A2MS budget build

Post by Derek »

Oh, and the essentials, swamp cooler, iPod Dock, and the lappy for some Pandora and reference materials. :ugeek:
Attachments
P08-25-12_11-14.jpg
P08-25-12_11-14.jpg (538.25 KiB) Viewed 10105 times

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

ok i need some help here. i installed the fork and i am getting some 'stiction' from the well lubed aHeadset. ideas?
Attachments
P08-26-12_20-44.jpg
P08-26-12_20-44.jpg (379.14 KiB) Viewed 10099 times

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

OK the other guys know far more than I do...but first thing I would ask....You use new bearings..was the race and cups in good shape and put in correct? I would back off the stem slightly to see just where it starts to hang up...might be able to see what is hanging up...I hope one of the other guys get on soon to tell you what to do, HOPE things work out!!!!
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Vinny is right... loosen those clamp bolts on the stem and back off the stem cap bolt. It sounds like you sandwiched the by snugging up the top bolt. Easy He-Man! If it's happening, you need to tear it back down (I know, sorry) and make sure all your bearing flaps are nicely seated around each bearing. Sometimes when you're recycling a ball-bearing headset (or installing a new one), it's easy for those tabs to be just slightly bent, and the result is metal on metal friction and your grease can't do a thing to lessen it.

Good luck!!!

Derek
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by Derek »

Ok fixed the headset, got the brakes and the chainrings installed. I can rebuild a 4-barrel carbeurator and swap an engine block blindfolded, but chainrings were a challenge! Methinks the handbar and accouterments will be next.

I need a 3x8 rapidfire setup, the old gripshifts kinda suck. Any leads?

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

HEY don't feel bad,some of these guys work or did in the past at bike shops and know their stuff well....as a kid I played around with my bikes and changing parts around....the multi speed set ups are somewhat new to me but from reading how this site was before I sign on I knew there was a core of guys that would give a hand (write how to do something that is) if someone needed help....I figure jump in with both feet to learn and ask info as need be..if that fails no shame in going to a shop till you catch on...unless you need the bike to go to work or something like that they can sit till done. I have grab old parts just to take apart to try rebuild..........Keep at it and enjoy the build.. to me that is just as much fun as riding now and keep writing how things are going because I am right there with you and I will learn off things you do...

P.s. You should be able to pick up Shimmano triger shifters cheap for sure 8 speed shifters...check craigs list and ebay,plus you could hit up local bike shops for take-offs. Sometimes you can find good deals that way and be able to truly see how they are before money is drop on them...What is your rear derailler..is it a sram if so you would need shifters that will work with a 1/1 ratio

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Hey pee30wee,

+1 for gettin' after it yourself! So many people today can't do anything... just get the wallet out and pay someone to do it for them! LAME!!! Yesterday at my LBS I was pickin' up a few bits (finishing a commuter for a friend), this guy comes in on a an all mountain rig, full race kit, body armor, full face race helmet, the works... must have cost $6,000.00 easily! He says to my buddy that works there, "I got a flat." My buddy offers to let him use the stand and tools, "Just buy a tube and no worries, take your time." The guy ("Mr. Racer") starts in about how he doesn't know how to change a tube. My friend and I look at each other and laugh, thinking the guy is messing around. "HEY F*CK YOU GUYS! LOCAL SHOPS ARE S'POSE TO BE COOL BUT YOU GUYS ARE BIG TIME F*CKERS!!!" Totally caught off guard I apologized as did my friend that worked at the shop. He explained to the guy that changing a tube is simple bike maintenance and they never have to do that type of work for anyone who rides on a regular basis. The kook opened his fat yap and yammered on about all he wants to do is ride his bike... "I don't want to be a F*CKIN' BIKE MECHANIC!!!" I'd all but given up on bike riders after that but this thread has renewed my faith that people can do what they set out to do! God, a simple innertube! Not like that hardcore frame saver that Mixalive pulled off on his XX Team bike... thank goodness Cudaheads get after it... not simply roll over and wait for the cavalry to save the day!

VIVA LES CUDAHEADS ! ! !

I'm not a fan of Gripshifters either, give me anything before those lousy bastards! Quick question about your set up... what rear derailleur are you running? Are you planning on sticking with the cantilever brakes? I ask because most 7 and 8 speed Shimano setups were integrated "pod" shifters as opposed to today where most shifters are individual to the brake levers. I don't recall what speed they are but I know I have at least one set of LX shift pods. Those are for canti brake, though. You can run V-brakes with the pods but you need a pair of Travel Agents (aka Problem Solvers). Check out my A2L in the member bikes section, I ran my 7 speed XT pods with Avid Arch Rival V-brakes. Take your time, don't rush it or you'll end up with a bunch of leftover bike parts... a problem but a blessing at the same time. ;)

Patience grasshopper...

-D-

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

Should have asked the guy how he plan on making it home if he blows a tube miles into the woods on a ride...as a kid you learn how to do that...jezzzz.
I like alot of the same parts as Neo , but I LOVE my SRAM...had the Shimanno stuff early on and could not stand it. Must say for a twist set up you need top Sram parts and only Sram...no other brand that make that type of shifter...Sram weighs less and shifts faster..

Just thought about it....what if he trashes his rear derailler or brakes a chain....what are the odds he carries a chain brake tool and spare links if he does not even carry spare tubes and levers....bet he rides in guided club rides where there is somebody to look after folks like that....

mixalive

Post by mixalive »

Yep.. No gripshifts on my bikes. There are 3x8 Shimano Rapid Fires out there.
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis