Barracuda pogo stick B.I.N. $150.00

Barracudas looking for a home. Please post links to auctions, listings, etc.
neo_pop_71

Barracuda pogo stick B.I.N. $150.00

Post by neo_pop_71 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Barracuda- ... 336wt_1302

Ross made 'Cuda full suspension, always an odd bird when I see one... :?

...but the shipping might kill 'ya... from Mass. to Cali is $73.41 :shock:

-D-

neo_pop_71

Re: Barracuda pogo stick B.I.N. $150.00

Post by neo_pop_71 »

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/2924270450.html

Barracuda Full Suspension XC Mountain Bike - $100 (Newton)

"Older full suspension (front and back shocks) Barracuda mountain bike for cross country use. Bontrager tires, aluminium frame, recommended for riders 5'7 and under. Will most likely need some minor tweaking and lube on chain. willing to negotiate price"

This kid is really optimistic that Ebay will bring him some 'Cuda cash, he was willing to negotiate on the price when it was only $100.00 for the complete bike! Nice try... :roll:

-D-

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

You think they copyed a Schwinn sweetspot just a little.....Jezzzz
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

vpc66, I agree with you on the copied frame design but I think it goes back one more level to the Catamount bike. In 1996 Catamount came out with what they called a U.R.T. (Unified Rear Triangle) M.F.S. (Mid-Frame Suspension). The Catamount URT MFS came is 3 levels (XTR, XT, and LX for obvious "Shimano" reasons)... the XTR cost $3,50000, the XT cost $2,750.00, and the LX cost $2,350.00. Schwinn did have a 1996 Homegrown with a "Sweet Spot" frame design but I think the Schwinn designers stole the idea from the 1994 Catamount prototype that previewed at Interbike. The bikes are certainly similar in design but the Catamount was considered a race ready bike, I would not say that about the 'Cuda or the Schwinn.

-D-

vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Post by vpc66 »

In its day the Sweetspot which became the S series was their Xc full suspension race bike. I still have mine though It has been set up for my wife to ride,she did not like the little hard seat as she called it or the heavy rack to the handlebars so a big soft seat was put on and a tall riser stem. But the thing rides great and locks out when out of the saddle as they claim . I have the older model which became a carbon frame in the later years. Side note..they used it on a cop show called Pacific Blue but after the first year lost out to the Trek Y fs.
Last edited by vpc66 on April 11th, 2012, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

willywill

Post by willywill »

I built up one of the Cuda XCs FS frames, picked it up from Big Al up in NY. As I mentioned in an earlier thread that was the steel frame I tried the rear disc adapter with. I think that frame weighs like 9 lbs or something absurd! The POS ShockWorks shock probably weighs 2!

Cool looking bikes though, I would pick one up if I could find the right size!

Even though Al primarily handled Ross Cudas he sure did have some good looking frames. Anyone know about his supplier?

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Mark, this site's Grand Poobah, may have more insight but I heard Big Al gobbled up all the 'Cudas he could in a sale as Ross was blowing them out the door before they outsourced everything. Maybe it has some truth or it could just be a 'Cuda (urban) legend.

-D-

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

Hadn't heard of this buyer in particular, but there are a bunch of similar stories all over, both from the original "fire sale" in 95, and then when Ross dumped a bunch in that era.

I got my 97 from a guy in Florida who was ebaying them with great success and had a warehouse full. This was sometime in 2000/01.

jcw_mtb

Post by jcw_mtb »

FYI, i'm the eBay seller for this cuda cat. what happened: drove to Boston & bought the bike. after realizing how godawful heavy it was, tried recouping my initial investment on eBay (epic fail). so now i have one boat anchor frameset w/some leftover useable parts. anybody want it for like $50?

what i'd really like is an A2Fast (if i could find one).

thx for reading my tale of woe & stupidity :lol: :roll:
Last edited by jcw_mtb on April 22nd, 2012, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
Founder
Founder

Post by Mark »

I like the look of the A2Fast better, but it's still not a light frame, as it was all cromoly steel and reinforced a bit to accomodate the linkage. I believe built up, it's still a 27-29lb bike.