Barracuda pogo stick B.I.N. $150.00

Barracudas looking for a home. Please post links to auctions, listings, etc.
vpc66
V.I.P Member
V.I.P Member

Re: Barracuda pogo stick B.I.N. $150.00

Post by vpc66 »

Heck you might as well keep the thing for rides around the neighborhood and when you can pick up a good hardtail for a go fast lite ride...Safe bet you will not bump into another one of those riding around...
Relax and have deep water thoughts.

F.C.C.R Ride hard,Ride Fast.....Go Insane

jcw_mtb

Post by jcw_mtb »

@vpc66 - i have no interest in keeping this thing. the goal is actually to build up one semi-lightweight bike for all purposes. granted, it's in decent shape & could still be set up as a SS or beater freeride rig. just doesn't fit my needs right now. 50 clams & will throw in the ESP 5.0 rear derailleur too...yeehaw.

@Mark - not too concerned about the A2Fast's weight. that's pretty close to my last full suspension bike, a 1995 FSR Team, which weighed 27.5 lbs.

so, anyone have an A2Fast or 17" steel hardtail frameset to sell?
Last edited by jcw_mtb on April 22nd, 2012, 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

jcw_mtb wrote:FYI, i'm the eBay seller for this cuda cat. what happened: drove to Boston & bought the bike. after realizing how godawful heavy it was, tried recouping my initial investment on eBay (epic fail). so now i have one boat anchor frameset w/some leftover useable parts. anybody want it for like $50?

what i'd really like is an a2fast (if i could find one).

thx for reading my tale of woe & stupidity :lol: :roll:

Hey jcw_mtb,

Man, we've all done the exact same thing... maybe some woe but no stupidity!

I saw your new ad on Craigslist...

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/2958907688.html

...cheeky devil, referencing the old Catamount frames in your description!

This one is not mine but it popped up near me the other day, I could inquire for you if you're interested. Obviously, it's been repainted but who knows, it could be a Comp or an A2X.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/2955546390.html

Let me know if you want me to hit the seller up about what model is under all that paint.

-D-

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Okay jcw_mtb, check out this sweet deal in your backyard:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/2952220369.html

Here's the info in it from Bikepedia:

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... &Type=bike

Don't sleep on this deal, only $75.00 for a seriously legit race bike back in the day! A new quality bike was $750 or so, the RS60 was twice that price! It was made in Japan from Tange Prestige, just like the Stumpjumper. The Paramount had a nicer ride and was higher end as far as frame construction because it was a lugged frame (like the early Stumpjumpers) instead of being tig welded like the Stumpjumpers from the same era. You will not find a nicer hardtail for the price!!!

Good luck and if you're going to pass, please say so because I'd like to have it!

-D-

p.s. You could probably unload the the blown Paoli fork on Ebay for what you pay for the bike frame... uber rare high end race fork. You could always keep the fork and rebuild it, here's a link to the rebuild kit:

http://www.spi-parts.com/paoli-shock-rebuild-kit.html

(It's almost as much as the bike! :o )

jcw_mtb

Post by jcw_mtb »

@neo_pop_71 - thx for the heads up on that Paramount. i already contacted the guy & left 2 phone messages yesterday alone. haven't heard back yet. meantime, still looking for something to fit the bill. also, thx for the offer to contact the OC Barracuda seller. i need to get my ass out out there so such bargains can be more easily accessible (planning to move west ASAP).

the search continues... :)
Last edited by jcw_mtb on April 16th, 2012, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcw_mtb

Post by jcw_mtb »

bought the Paramount today :) :P

although when i considering its fairly clean condition, perhaps a trade is in order for something a bit more well-worn. my goal is to build up a daily driver, not a museum piece. anyone have an a2fast or other steel Tree Amigos hardtail in a 16.5 -18" size to swap?
Attachments
non-driveside.jpg
non-driveside.jpg (123.13 KiB) Viewed 10054 times
Last edited by jcw_mtb on April 16th, 2012, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Congrats, nice score!

Here is the catalog scan for the RS60... Paramount's "DOWNHILL" bike... damn, things have changed in 20 years. I'm not positive which you have there, the '93 came with a Paoli front shock and the '94 had a Rock Sox Mag10 but you have a Specialized fork (like the one that cam on the suspended Stumpjumper). What derailleurs are on the frame? That'll narrow it down.

http://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/1993/Pa ... Pmt_08.jpg

-D-

jcw_mtb

Post by jcw_mtb »

this is indeed a '93. i just inspected the Paoili's internals earlier tonight, & one of the bottom elastomers was split. clearly the FutureShock was a replacement, probably installed by the guy who bought the frame off eBay before me. it works...sort of. if i kept the bike, would try replacing that w/something newer - kinda hard to find anything modern w/a threaded 1" steerer nowadays. i did score some XT cranks @ the LBS today & now only need a BB, suspension post & better quality rear wheel.

oh yeah: the drivetrain is Deore DX. already removed both derailleurs, & they're in really nice shape.

are you still interested in this Paramount? i'd probably be willing to trade for a steel 'cuda if you had something to offer in my size range.

jbsteven

Post by jbsteven »

I remember the Barracuda fire sale. I was working for a bike shop at the time. The prices were cheap to say the least. I got a complete A2Fast for $325. Rode that frame for about a year and it got a crack just below the seat post collar (was common). Went to get the frame warrantied and they sent me one of the steel Catamount type ones. It weighed 10 lbs. We called them and explained I had all high end parts on the frame and a 10 lb frame wouldn't cut it. They ended up sending me a aluminum XX XC which I rode and raced for a couple years. Still have that bike.

jbsteven

Post by jbsteven »

Here is me in a limbo contest in 95 in Lajitas on my A2FAST. I ended up winning by going on one pedal on one side of the bike.