The second saddest Barracuda related fire-sale story..

Ever made a decision that at the time seemed like a good one, but then later on, you realize was a huge mistake?
neo_pop_71

The second saddest Barracuda related fire-sale story..

Post by neo_pop_71 »

It all started the day my mom backed over my Bigwheel... :o

Two years ago, feeling the downturn in the economy, I closed up/gave up my industrial unit where I built bikes for friends/racers and restored bikes for customers. I had "the shed" for 6 years, over the duration I built/rebuilt/customized hundreds of bikes. Having raced BMX, then road, and eventually mountain and cyclocross, I knew what worked and people trusted my work plus they always got a fair deal. I only had to fix and flip a few bikes off Craigslist to make rent, it was great! That's when I discovered how many great deals were out there, deals I couldn't pass up and since I had plenty of space I grabbed each one. The problem came when I decided to close the doors, I had (42) forty-two filled hook & racks... yep, 42 bikes I considered daily riders if I had the time. How would I bring them all home? My wife solved the issue, "Just get rid of them." Ummm no, I can't do that but I didn't want to pay for a storage unit. So, I had closing up sale down at the shed, I had people coming from San Diego (2 hours south) to Santa Barbara (3 hours north) and every point in between. I sold both my 'Cudas, an A2M and a Comp to a guy in Hollywood, each was decked out with great period correct upgrades and I loved them! However, faced with thinning down nearly 50 bikes forced me to sell whatever people wanted and not watch as they rolled off with my babies. I kick myself for not hanging onto one, I should have, they were both great but my Comp was special. I don't even have any pics, I deleted all the pictures of each bike I sold, it just adds to the misery! :cry:

Oh well... who's next?

Mark
Founder
Founder

Re: Ok, I'll get this rolling - My 95 Comp

Post by Mark »

You know, I frequently use the term LOL, but I hardly ever laugh out loud. Your first line had me going for about 10 minutes. LOVE the bigwheel!

mixalive

Re: The second saddest Barracuda related fire-sale story..

Post by mixalive »

As I was a little too old for a Big Wheel when Mattel came out with it, I was wondering why a teenage version was not made. But then I remembered...
We had the Tri-Sport (Alsport) Three Wheelers. I had a friend that had one with a factory 2 stroke twin with expansion chambers and a wheelie bar, that was street legal.
Attachments
Tri-Sport2.jpg
Tri-Sport2.jpg (253.17 KiB) Viewed 10633 times
93 A2R blue/white 14" Craigslist Austin, on the cheap
94 A2M silver/white 14" Cenna's Cycles SA, original owner
94 Cuda Comp purple/white 14" won on Ebay
95 XX Team gold/white 14" Craigslist Memphis

neo_pop_71

Post by neo_pop_71 »

Those pants should have been illegal ! ! ! :shock:

manbeer
Never leaves
Never leaves

Post by manbeer »

I know where you are coming from, when i was in middle-high school i wanted all of the gorgeous cnc parts of the era and remember reading mountain bike action religiously every month. Fast forward a decade and i get the urge to rebuild my old A2M and decide to do a little searching on ebay....and become addicted

I find all these things i always wanted when i was younger and didn't have the money and now i can't stop. I have more parts than i can ever use and keep buying and buying

I recently started to slowly liquidate some of the parts, i still keep buying but its stabilized somewhat. What i have started doing is making a scrapbook with every bike and part i get, this way when i sell it i still have a keepsake. I find that this helps me deal with the regrets i had getting rid of things
92 Easton * 93 A2X * 93 A2L * 94 A2MS * 94 Comp * 95 Comp * 96 A2E * 97 A2E * 97 XX Team * 97 A2F * 98 A2FS * 96 A2T and more